Presidency denies N105,000 as proposed new minimum wage for workers

The Presidency has denied reports suggesting that the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, along with the Nigerian government negotiating team tabled N105,000 as the proposed new minimum wage to President Bola Tinubu.

Officials in the know of the proposal had told newsmen that the minister presented N105,000 as the proposed minimum wage. 

Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Strategy,  Bayo Onanuga, described the claim as untrue, but failed to give the correct proposal. 

“The minister of Finance and coordinating minister of the economy, Wale Edun has not proposed N105,000 minimum wage. The contrary story being disseminated is false,” Onanuga said.

SaharaReporters reported earlier that on June 4, President Tinubu asked the finance minister, Wale Edun to present a new wage template within two days.

There is a disagreement between organised labour and the government. While organised labour is asking for a wage of N494,000, the government said it would pay N60,000.

However, following the declaration of an indefinite nationwide strike – which commenced on Monday and was relaxed for one week – the government committed to pay above N60,000.

The Trade Union Congress President, Comrade Festus Osifo, noted that there was no new development or offer from the government

“The government is yet to present anything to us. What we have been discussing are principles but no new template yet,” he said.

When quipped on if there was an offer beyond N60,000, he stated that such an offer was not on the table

“The government is yet to present any new offer to us; we are only hoping that by the time we come back tomorrow, something concrete will be available,” he said.

“They are only talking about principles and what is needed to work but nothing new yet on the minimum wage.”